Sunday, June 8, 2008

My 1st time....

Everyone remember their first time. I remember mine very vivdly....

It was a hot slow January 2007 afternoon. Having read much about in the newspaper, magazines, the net and from friends and colleagues that I was dreaming and thinking about it for days and ends. As I went through my daily chores with the thought of going for it on my mind the whole day long, I felt like a man obssessed, like a man possessed. I just simply have to experince it before I leave this world so that in years to come I am able to tell myself that I did it and created something beautiful. Since I won't have the oppourtunity to fight any wars nor the desire to die for my country, I figured I need to do it to be able to tell my children one day that I did something great and created something beautiful.

But as with any new ventures, I was worried that if I get it wrong the 1st time around, I would bring shame to my forefathers. I will be the poster boy of shame in the Liow family. The 1st time got to be perfect. It has to be for the sake of the Liow name. I can't be seen as the one who bring shame to the Liow family because for a Chinese, it is unthinkable to bring shame and dishonour to the family name. One would rather die than commit the most unhonorable crime. The Japanese are somewhat similar to us Chinese in this department, only thing is that they are much much more serious about the punishment. You see, when the Japanese bring shame and dishonour, they commited hara-kiri or literally, it means to cut open one's belly. I guess we Chinese wouldn't like to show off to the whole world what we had for breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper. We prefer to be much more humble and much less dramatic, you see. Not forgetting, we treasure life and would rather die of lung cancer or high blood pressure or diabetics from all the drinking and consumption of rich oily food. Now that's a smart and lovely way to go, if you ask me.

And so the stage was set. On the 25th January 2007, I sat myself down comfortably and went into deep thought. Deep concenration and a clear mind is important before one set out on any new experience, that's what my father would say. After a lot of immaginative thoughts and brainstorming sessions, I finally took off my shirt, loosen my pants, switch on the air con and went down to the nitty gritty of things........I created my 1st blog! (www.rickyliow.blogspot.com)

..........and i felt no pain, only a nice feeling of having created something beautiful.